Greg ‘CRAOLA’ Simkins Artist Research

 

kitron

Greg ‘CRAOLA’ Simkins

Greg ‘CRAOLA’ Simkins is another artist that I wanted to research on. Simkins began drawing at three and was inspired by cartoons, animals and books, he continued to progress and started doing graffiti, it taught him perspective, colour theory and further developed his skills which later changed into his acrylic work. He also worked on video games including Tony Hawk 2X and Spiderman 2, his experience with pop culture, nature and his imagination makes Greg Simkins a sought-after surrealist painter today. 

One of my favorite paintings is “Kitron”. The artist is very skillful and painted the texture and prints of the porcelain cat vividly. The shiny blue and white on the cat also creates great contrast with the ash brown background, creating an apocalypse mood for the painting. The creatures also look like they are from another world, with fish that flies and a goose that is totally out of proportion. I think the porcelain cat is combined from five different cats, each having their own personality and experience showing through their tattoo pattern. The picture on the forehead makes me feel that the cats are trapped inside the porcelain body. 

“Rabbit season” is another painting from Simkins that I like. He cleverly combines a 2-dimensional wall and 3-dimensional animals and props in the same composition. The contrast between the mickey mouse-like rabbits and the realistic rabbits is also very interesting. The outfit and accessories on the animals makes me feel like they are guides from another world, offering me an adventure from which I may or may not return. The only boundaries that I will encounter when setting out on these journeys into our daydreams are the walls that we placed in our subconscious mind. In my opinion, the Surrealism art movement can really help me generate ideas. I can express my subconscious mind through illogical and creative scenes and translate it back to my fashion design.



Reference

Gregsimkinsart.com (n.d.) GregSimkinsArt.com. Available at: https://gregsimkinsart.com/ (Accessed: February 14, 2023).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

feedback for blog buddy

Reflection for Art Portfolio two

Photoshop Process of my Portfolio