Further Research: Sea Images for Fashion Design

 



I will be looking here at sea images that will inform my fashion design project Undersea Collection.  I will look at these images and discuss the colours, textures, patterns and form and how these will inform and enhance my design process.

I will begin by discussing Hokusai

The base colours of the painting are indigo and white. it also used Prussian Blue pigment that was imported from Europe in the late Edo period (metmuseum.com). The first thing that came into view was the stormy waves. The waves use white and indigo to create different textures of the waves, making the waves look more turbulent. With my own fashion designs for this project I will be using different shades and tones of blue for my designs, I created a colour palette on a creator online to get an idea of the colours I would like to use below. 



 To give my design more texture and life, like Hokusai with the white waves I will use yellow or gold for my accent colour, something like the colours below with the gold sparkling to give an evening wear look. 








In addition to the waves, details of fishing boats and Mount Fuji are drawn. If you look at the painting and focus on the mountains, you will see that the waves will be bigger than if you looked directly at them. I think it's smart to draw the waves on the right-hand side, as this composition makes them appear stronger and more splashy.  However this is actually because Hokusai used the Golden Ratio



'So how do we use this Golden Ratio in our works? One of the most common applications is through the use of a Golden Rectangle.

We begin with a rectangle with sides in the 1:φ ratio. Partitioning that rectangle into a square and new rectangle gives that new, smaller rectangle the 1:φ ratio. As you continue this partitioning inside each new rectangle, your Golden Rectangles get smaller and smaller, but are still in keeping with the ratio.

 The Golden Spiral, used to bring harmony and visual interest to your artworks on canvas.

Now, picture a spiral that swoops through each intersection between the square and rectangle inside of each Golden Rectangle.' (Ucsart.com)











Secondly I looked at Peggy Gyulai, I looked at these to further expand my ideas for the colour palette, although these are painting about music by this artist, I looked at them thinking about undersea life as it can be very colourful and this is what I wanted yo incorporate in my design. So something like the photograph below...



The colours here are vibrant, bright and extremely colourful and the textures are something that I also could incorporate into my design.  

By looking at these two artists and their artwork I have understood the colour palette and textures I would like to create in my Undersea Collection

References

https://coolors.co/3e3d59-a3aac2-b6bbcf-484d99-d2cfe9

Learn the golden ratio for your artworks on canvas (2017) Upper Canada Stretchers | Art Canvas Stretcher Bars | Serving USA & Canada. Available at: https://www.ucsart.com/learn/blog/learn-the-golden-ratio-for-your-artworks-on-canvas (Accessed: November 18, 2022). 

A timeline of Japanese artist katsushika hokusai (no date) The British Museum. Available at: https://www.britishmuseum.org/exhibitions/hokusai-great-picture-book-everything/timeline-japanese-artist-katsushika-hokusai (Accessed: November 18, 2022). 

Hokusai (no date) Metmuseum.org. Available at: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/45434 (Accessed: November 18, 2022). 

Series (no date) Peggy Gyulai. Available at: http://peggygyulai.com/series (Accessed: November 18, 2022). 



Comments

  1. We completed this together - now try to start your fashion designs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

feedback for blog buddy

Reflection for Art Portfolio two

Photoshop Process of my Portfolio